When I ran out of the disposable wipes I had, I cut up some burp cloths that were laying around. I didn't like them as burp cloths because they were very thin and washcloth-like. I doubled them over and zigzagged them. Not easy since they were super stretchy!
Not only are they not pretty (LOL) but they're actually kind of scratchy compared to materials used in cloth wipes. I also don't always have enough since I don't have to wash every day anymore. I was finding myself using several for a diaper change and having to scrub a little bit, which isn't fun for my little guy.
I really wanted cloth wipes, but I was kind of scared to buy some and not like them. I wanted to find a brand I liked, and buy a nice pretty stack of them, rather than have a mismatched collection!
I've heard Thirsties talked about in my cloth diaper groups. Both the Duo Diapers and the Duo Wraps came up an awful lot when I was asking other cloth diapering mamas about night time diapering. I haven't tried either of those yet, but Thirsties agreed to send me a 6-pack of their fab wipes and a 4 oz. (travel size) bottle of their booty luster wipe spray. There's a giveaway too, so keep reading!
"Thirsties® is a small (but growing!) cloth diaper company committed to greener parenting and Eco Friendly solutions, not to mention 100% USA Made quality! Erin, the owner of Thirsties, started this business with an old sewing machine and $100 5 years ago. Through her hard work and diligence, her company is now one of the leaders in the cloth diaper industry. Our diapers are now made by work at home mothers, and very close to our Canon City warehouse, reducing our carbon output. Erin and I are experienced cloth diapering moms, and offer our knowledge to our retailers and customers alike."
The wipes! Oh my goodness, if you could feel these things. Buttery soft is an understatement. I feel bad for wiping my son's tush with those rough burp cloths. :-(
The wipes are cotton velour on one side and microfleece on the other. Both sides are super soft and the white side is nice to be sure you got the tushie clean. They're 8 x 8 (after washing and drying) and will fit in a wipes warmer or empty wipes container. The washing instructions say to dry on low, but I dried them on high with my diaper inserts and had no trouble.
It's been a while since I bought disposable wipes, but my rule of thumb was that I wouldn't buy them for more than 2.5 cents per wipe, and under two cents per wipe, I would stock up. That was the "sensitive" brand. (Add a scoffing "ha!" to that please.)
I seemed to use a zillion wipes, but let's just say 15 per day for simplicity here. That's a cost of about $9 for a month. If you're buying smaller refill packs or tubs, not shopping sales and clipping coupons, your cost per wipe will be a lot higher. For me, a 6 pack of thirsties wipes ($10.75 MSRP) would pay for itself in just over a month. So even if I had bought three dozen wipes, they would have paid for themselves by now.
I'll just skip right over the issue of ingredients in disposable wipes and impact on the environment and add that based on the reviews I've read, people continue to use these wipes long after their kids are out of diapers. Wiping faces, cleaning the house. Let's see you do that with a "used" disposable wipe!
The compulsive side of me feels the need to point out how nice and pretty they look stacked up all nice and neatly.
I had to run a quick load of diapers to avoid using those nasty burp cloth wipes on him! I want to buy 3 more packs of these. I think that would give me enough to have some upstairs and downstairs, not have to wash every day, and be able to ditch the burp cloth wipes!
The Booty Luster ended up being a whole lot nicer than I expected. To be honest, I thought it was going to be a pre-mixed, overpriced version of every other wipes solution. Sorry, I was wrong!
The ingredients are: Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, 100% Pure Coconut water, Organic White Honey, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Glycerin, Humectant Moisturizers, Avocado and other Organic Ingredients.
The "other organic ingredients" is a little bothersome to me. Edit: Those "other organic ingredients" are just purified water, so no worries! Anyone who has experience with food allergies will tell you how irritating listed ingredients like "natural flavoring" can be! My son doesn't have any topical allergies that we know of, so I didn't pursue this. I do like that it uses Grapefruit Seed Extract as the anti-fungal ingredient, rather than Tea Tree Oil.
I'm used to squirting away and wiping, squirting some more, wiping etc. I had a hard time getting used to needing only 2 squirts of the booty luster. My son's tush wiped clean easily, felt smooth and clean, no residue at all. The spray came out with just the right mist, though we did have a few drips. The scent was very light, but pleasant. Like a very light, summery citrus.
The MSRP of the 4 oz travel size bottle is $6.25, and the 8 oz bottle, $11.00. That's a little spendy for cough*cheap*cough, ahem, frugal me. However, using the math I did earlier, this would most likely still be cheaper than disposable wipes and very convenient to boot. I'm not sure how long a bottle will last, I'll have to update on that. If I can get used to only needing two squirts, it will probably last a long time!
If you want to drool over all Thirsties has to offer (and maybe leave a not so subtle hint with some dog-eared pages), you can request a catalog on their website. Just go to www.thirstiesbaby.com/catalog.htm.
Want it? Find a retailer at thirstiesbaby.com. Or, win it!














I've had my eye on a thirsties duo diaper for a while now. I'm also FRUGAL though, and typically only buy used diapers, so I don't have one yet! I have been holding out on doing cloth wipes b/c it seemed like a pain in the rear, but throwing the diposable wipes in the garbage is a pain too. This post has me convinced that I need to try it out! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI LIKE you on FB!
ReplyDeleteI'm a new fan of Thirsties on FB!
ReplyDeleteI would like to try the thirsties duo diaper
ReplyDeleteglass.stephanie(at)gmail(dot)com
I would like to try the super wash
ReplyDeleteI'm a fan of yours on FB
ReplyDeleteI'm a follower
ReplyDeleteglass.stephanie(at)gmail(dot)com
Now a fan of Thirsties on FB
ReplyDeleteBlogged about it http://atrioofboys.blogspot.com/2010/04/finally-space-of-my-own.html
ReplyDeleteI "like" Thirsties on facebook (Stephanie Gaffney)
ReplyDeleteglass.stephanie(at)gmail(dot)com
I follow you on twitter @skgaff
ReplyDeleteglass.stephanie(at)gmail(dot)com
Tweet:
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/skgaff/status/13100752355
glass.stephanie(at)gmail(dot)com
I "like" you on facebook.
ReplyDeleteI also follow your blog.
ReplyDeleteI like Thirsties on facebook.
ReplyDeleteI really want to try a Thirsties Duo. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Thirsties covers! They are my favorite and I recommend them to ALL of my CD friends!
ReplyDeleteAnd I follow you on Twitter.
ReplyDeletethe thirsties Duo in the new prints are super cute!
ReplyDeleteashleppek@gmail.com
i follow your blog!
ReplyDeleteashleppek@gmail.com
I "like" you on facebook!
ReplyDeleteashleppek@gmail.com
I "like" thirsties on facebook!
ReplyDeleteashleppek@gmail.com
i follow you on twitter!
ReplyDeleteashleppek@gmail.com
tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/AshAndRowe/statuses/13101948059
ashleppek@gmail.com
I would love the duo diapers! (more of them, anyways!) I need cloth wipes too!
ReplyDeletegdy2shoes23(at)gmail.com
I follow your blog!
ReplyDeleteI Like you! (on FB too!) ;-)
ReplyDeleteI like thirsties on facebook!
ReplyDeleteI follow you on twitter! (katrinawelch)
ReplyDeletetweeted!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/katrinawelch/status/13107301642
I really want to try the Fab fitteds
ReplyDeletej.mcdilda at gmail dot com
Blog follower(JMC)
ReplyDeletej.mcdilda at gmail dot com
fan/like you on facebook
ReplyDeletej.mcdilda at gmail dot com
fan/like thirsties on Twitter
ReplyDeletej.mcdilda at gmail dot com
following you on twitter
ReplyDelete@SliverStorm
j.mcdilda at gmail dot com
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/SliverStorm/status/13107648462
j.mcdilda at gmail dot com
I would like to try Thirsties Super Wash.
ReplyDeletemoderndayverona at gmail dot com
I am a follower
ReplyDeletemoderndayverona at gmail dot com
i checked out the thirsties page and would love to try the duo diaper. i've never tried any of their diapers yet, but the duo is very appealing! i would love to win these wipes...i haven't yet tried cloth wipes (i make mine own disposable wipes), but i've really been leaning toward it. thanks for the chance to win!
ReplyDeletei "liked" the thirsties page on facebook. thanks!
ReplyDeleteI like you lol
ReplyDeleteI follow you...but not in the weird way =P
ReplyDeleteI like thirsties
ReplyDeleteand I would probably want a diaper duffle or I'd try fab fitted...but those cloth wipes are really appealing! I was/am trying to make my own out of the super soft fabric, but it's very time consuming!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to try their duo diaper... as well as their fab wipes and booty luster!
ReplyDeleteSHull2319 at gmail dot com
I "follow" you
ReplyDeleteSHull2319 at gmail dot com
I "like" you on facebook
ReplyDeleteSHull2319 at gmail dot com
I "follow" you on twitter (@trvlgrl121)
ReplyDeleteSHull2319 at gmail dot com
I tweeted: http://twitter.com/trvlgrl121/statuses/13112417823
ReplyDeleteSHull2319 at gmail dot com
I blogged: http://thelittlehedgehog.blogspot.com/2010/04/its-giveaway-time-on-blog-fitteds-and.html
ReplyDeleteSHull2319 at gmail dot com
I want to try the Thirsties Duo Diaper! I just ordered some in the mail and I can't wait to try them on this babe!!
ReplyDeletelindseycrock@gmail.com
I follow your blog in Reader!!
ReplyDeletelindseycrock@gmail.com
I like you on FB!
ReplyDeletelindseycrock@gmail.com
Oh and I like Thirsties on FB, too!! :)
ReplyDeletelindseycrock@gmail.com
i *still* haven't tried their duo cover! i plan to, though!
ReplyDeletesimplymerry at gmail dot com
publicly follow your blog
ReplyDeletesimplymerry at gmail dot com
like you on facebook
ReplyDeletesimplymerry at gmail dot com
like thirsties on facebook
ReplyDeletesimplymerry at gmail dot com
follow you on twitter
ReplyDelete@simplymerrier
simplymerry at gmail dot com
http://twitter.com/simplymerrier/statuses/13119395349
ReplyDeletesimplymerry at gmail dot com
I want to try the hemp doublers. I've been thinking about getting some for awhile now.
ReplyDeleteerica DOT jmail AT mac DOT com
I follow your blog publicly
ReplyDeleteI "like" you on fb!
ReplyDeleteI like thirsties on fb
ReplyDeleteTweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13124997830
Blogged about giveaway
ReplyDeletehttp://the-elwells.blogspot.com/2010/04/things-i-love-thursdays-blog-giveaways.html
I want to try the Duo Wraps!
ReplyDeleteI am a google friend follower. mommysdiaperdreams at gmail dot com
ReplyDeleteI just started cloth diapering my 8 month old twins yesterday! I already see the need for cloth wipes and spray, but in addition, I'd love to get some more covers and inserts to add to our collection! :)
ReplyDeleteLiked you on facebook. :)
ReplyDeleteLiked thirsties on FB. :)
ReplyDeleteJust signed up to follow the blog publicly.
ReplyDeletediaper covers
ReplyDeleteI'd love to try the doublers. My baby just started wetting really heavily while she sleeps.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I made my own cloth wipes out of flannel receiving blankets. Very soft, and nice as tissues when your nose gets really sore from a bad cold, too!
I'm a follower.
ReplyDeleteI "like" you on FB.
ReplyDeleteI tweeted
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/jens_busy
Following you on Twitter.
ReplyDeleteI would like to try thirsties duo diaper.
ReplyDeleteI'm a follower.
ReplyDeletei would like to try the duo diaper!
ReplyDeletetamipearson at gmail dot com
i follow your blog! :)
ReplyDeletetamipearson at gmail dot com
tweeted
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13134214010
I haven't tried cloth wipes yet, but I see the advantages. I'd like to give it a try. I'd also like to try the fab fitted.
ReplyDeletedaisy7017(at)msn(dot)com
I am a blog follower
ReplyDeletedaisy7017(at)msn(dot)com
I like you on FB :-)
ReplyDeletedaisy7017(at)msn(dot)com
I'd also like to try their fab fitted diaper.
ReplyDeleteheatherandscott030709 at gmail dot com
Follow your blog!
ReplyDeleteheatherandscott030709 at gmail dot com
Like you on facebook! :) heatherscholten
ReplyDeleteheatherandscott030709 at gmail dot com
"Like" Thirsties on Facebook - heatherscholten
ReplyDeleteheatherandscott030709 at gmail dot com
I want to try a Thirsties Fab Fitted!
ReplyDeleteslang76@hotmail.com
I follow your blog!
ReplyDeleteslang76@hotmail.com
I LIKE you on Facebook
ReplyDeleteslang76@hotmail.com
I also like Thirsties on Facebook!
ReplyDeleteslang76@hotmail.com
Tweeted
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/Geoffreysmomma
alturner05@hotmail.com
daily tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/SliverStorm/status/13151243166
j.mcdilda at gmail dot com
I want to try a fab fitted.
ReplyDeleteanglanigan@gmail.com
like Thirsties on FB
ReplyDeleteanglanigan@gmail.com
like you on FB
ReplyDeleteanglanigan@gmail.com
follow you via GFC
ReplyDeleteanglanigan@gmail.com
I would also like to try the Fab Fitted!
ReplyDeletegirottih@yahoo.com
I follow you publicly.
ReplyDeletegirottih@yahoo.com
I'd love to try the Fab Fitteds, or the Duo Diaper!
ReplyDeleteaubrey_ls@hotmail.com
I follow your blog publicly.
ReplyDeleteaubrey_ls@hotmail.com
I like you on Facebook.
ReplyDeleteaubrey_ls@hotmail.com
I like Thirsties on Facebook.
ReplyDeleteaubrey_ls@hotmail.com
i like you on face book!!!!!
ReplyDeletei follow you publicly w google!
ReplyDeletei like thirsties!
ReplyDeleteI"d also like to try their wipes, and booty luster, and their duo diapers! I love their original covers and pocket AIO diaper!
ReplyDeletemphin278 AT yahoo DOt com
I follow your blog publicly
ReplyDeletemphin278 AT yahoo DOT com
I liked you on facebook!
ReplyDeletemphin278 AT yahoo DOT com
I liked Thirsties on facebook!
ReplyDeletemphin278 AT yahoo DOT com
I"m following you on twitter!
ReplyDelete@mphin278
mphin278 AT yahoo DOt com
http://twitter.com/mphin278/status/13170551426
ReplyDeletetweeted
mphin278 AT yahoo DOt com
http://sapsgiveaways.blogspot.com/2010/04/thirsties-giveaway-by-f-oh-my-ends-may.html
ReplyDeleteBlogged about the giveaway!
mphin278 AT yahoo DOT com
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13184851666
erica DOT jmail AT mac DOT com
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13189281347
tomokofive at gmail dot com
I would love to try the duo!
ReplyDeleteI follow you on Facebook!
ReplyDeleteI really want to try out the doublers, I bet they are really soft.
ReplyDeleteeponineca(at)yahoo(dot)com
I follow your blog.
ReplyDeleteI like you on facebook.
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mphin278/status/13204992543
ReplyDeleteDaily tweet!
mphin278 AT yahoo DOT com
http://twitter.com/simplymerrier/statuses/13217096733
ReplyDeletesimplymerry at gmail dot com
I would like to try the superwash.
ReplyDeleteschicana19 at gmail dot com
Like to try the super wash!
ReplyDeleteCarla
cpullum(at)yahoo(dot)com
I follow publicly.
ReplyDeleteschicana19 at gmail dot com
I am a thirsties fb fan.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to try the Duo Diaper!
ReplyDeletegaryandalesha at cox dot net
Blog follower
ReplyDeletegaryandalesha at cox dot net
FB fan of you (Alesha y Jacobsen)
ReplyDeletegaryandalesha at cox dot net
FB fan of Thirsties (Alesha y Jacobsen)
ReplyDeletegaryandalesha at cox dot net
Following you on twitter @JacobsenFamily
ReplyDeletegaryandalesha at cox dot net
http://twitter.com/JacobsenFamily/status/13229614848
ReplyDeletegaryandalesha at cox dot net
http://twitter.com/simplymerrier/statuses/13238226161
ReplyDeletesimplymerry at gmail dot com
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13246980114
erica DOT jmail AT mac DOT com
tweet
ReplyDeletehttps://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13254774467
Would love to try the Thirsties Duo Diaper.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
angiedkelly at gmail dot com
Follow you publicly via GFC
ReplyDeleteangiedkelly at gmail dot com
Facebook liker of yours
ReplyDeleteFacebook Liker of Thirsties
ReplyDeleteangiedkelly at gmail dot com
Follow you on twitter under @yeahhappy
ReplyDeleteangiedkelly at gmail dot com
http://twitter.com/yeahhappy/status/13263088957
ReplyDeletetweet
Duo Diaper!
ReplyDeletekitekoop AT gmail DOT com
villageofmoms.blogspot.com
thekitefamily.blogspot.com
Following!
ReplyDeletekitekoop AT gmail DOT com
villageofmoms.blogspot.com
thekitefamily.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/mphin278/status/13273767676
ReplyDeleteDaily tweet!
mphin278 AT yahoo DOt com
I'd like to try a duo wrap
ReplyDeletenaturalbabygiveaways at gmail dot com
following your blog
ReplyDeletenaturalbabygiveaways at gmail dot com
like you on facebook
ReplyDeletenaturalbabygiveaways at gmail dot com
like thristies on facebook
ReplyDeletenaturalbabygiveaways at gmail dot com
following you on twitter
ReplyDeletenaturalbabygiveaways at gmail dot com
tweet https://twitter.com/BabyGiveaways/status/13283252429
ReplyDeletenaturalbabygiveaways at gmail dot com
blogged http://naturalbabygiveaways.com/thirsties-fab-wipes-giveaway-ends-514/
ReplyDeletenaturalbabygiveaways at gmail dot com
http://twitter.com/simplymerrier/statuses/13295135928
ReplyDeletesimplymerry at gmail dot com
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13311665781
tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13311952840
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/BabyGiveaways/status/13323974866
naturalbabygiveaways at gmail dot com
tweeted today: http://twitter.com/trvlgrl121/statuses/13333429386
ReplyDeleteSHull2319 at gmail dot com
http://twitter.com/mphin278/status/13345307170
ReplyDeleteDaily tweet!
mphin278 AT yahoo DOt com
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13368761554
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13380179406
erica dot jmail at mac dot com
I'd like to try the duo diaper.
ReplyDeleteallicat2424@aol.com
follow your blog
ReplyDeleteallicat2424@aol.com
I follow you on Twitter!
ReplyDeleteaubrey_ls at hotmail dot com
I tweeted
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/AGZ8/status/13394876785
aubrey_ls at hotmail dot com
I'd like to try their new duo diaper!
ReplyDeletedani at tdnet dot us
I follow your blog publicly.
ReplyDeletedani at tdnet dot us
I like you on FB. dani at tdnet dot us
ReplyDeleteI also liked Thirsties on FB.
ReplyDeletedani at tdnet dot us
http://twitter.com/JacobsenFamily/status/13409636222
ReplyDeletegaryandalesha at cox dot net
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13423063819
erica dot jmail at mac dot com
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13429662726
tomokofive at gmail dot com
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/AGZ8/status/13448606348
aubrey_ls at hotmail dot com
http://twitter.com/mphin278/status/13466742630
ReplyDeletedaily tweet!
mphin278 AT yahoo dot com
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13482739968
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13493708844
I didn't know Thirsties has the Booty Luster, so honestly I would love love love to try this stuff.
ReplyDeletethriftymommy@verizon.net
I follow you publicly
ReplyDeletethriftymommy@verizon.net
Daily tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/AGZ8/status/13501766795
aubrey_ls at hotmail dot com
I already like you on facebook -- Shannon Hubbel
ReplyDeletethriftymommy@verizon.net
I already like Thirsties on Facebook -- Shannon Hubbel
ReplyDeletethriftymommy@verizon.net
I'm only entering this once-for the wipes, I already have some booty luster, my baby tries to drink it! So if I win, I'd want you to pick a second winner to get the luster! ;-)
ReplyDeleteoh and I'd love to try one of the duo dipes!
jill dot shoemaker at gmail dot com
http://twitter.com/SAPsMaMa/status/13529666175
ReplyDeletedaily tweet
mphin278 at yahoo dot com
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13549664097
erica dot jmail at mac dot com
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13552525720
I'd love to try the Duo Wrap
ReplyDeletebrinkels at live dot com
I follow your blog
ReplyDeletebrinkels at live dot com
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13605216932
erica dot jmail at mac dot com
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13608425646
I'd love a thirsties fab fitted!
ReplyDeleteamandawallace526 at gmail dot com
I follow your blog
ReplyDeleteamandawallace526 at gmail dot com
i like you on facebook
ReplyDeleteamandawallace526 at gmail dot com
i like Thirsties on facebook
ReplyDeleteamandawallace526 at gmail dot com
I follow you on twitter
ReplyDelete@mandyw526
tweet! http://twitter.com/mandyw526/statuses/13614055672
ReplyDeleteTweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/AGZ8/status/13634488628
aubrey_ls at hotmail dot com
http://twitter.com/JacobsenFamily/status/13637248380
ReplyDeletegaryandalesha at cox dot net
tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/orangefukurou/status/13668407949
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/mommyericae/status/13682108980
erica dot jmail at mac dot com
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/AGZ8/status/13706298203
aubrey_ls at hotmail dot com